Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * The Brackish Alternative * How much salt?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Bobby Jensen
Username: mollybright

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 07:44 pm:       

How much sea salt to add in my mollies tanks. they are ten gallons tanks.

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 7271
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 07:53 pm:       

Let's start a whole new thread for this, instead of dragging a dead thread to the top of the forum.

A specific gravity of about 1.010-1.015 would be pretty good, but would require an instrument to measure the specific gravity. I have found the less expensive hydrometers in the LFS are not very accurate.

Since SW averages about 8 TBS per gallon, I add about 3 TBS. per gallon to my brackish tank, or about 25-30 TBS in your 10 gallon, depending on how much volume your substrate and decorations take up.

Another member here recommended a refractometer instead, in this thread: http://badmanstropicalfish.com/discus/messages/9404/42688.html?1119800991

(Message edited by cindym on June 30, 2005)

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Jessica
Admin
Username: jessica

Post Number: 5178
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 07:49 pm:       

8-20 tablespoons per tank.

Patience. Perseverance. Passion.

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 7272
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 07:55 pm:       

Sorry, Jessica, you must have been typing while I was moving the post to a new thread...

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Jessica
Admin

Post Number: 5179
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 07:56 pm:       

if they are not sailfin mollies, I probably wouldn't go quite that high...

Jessica
Admin

Post Number: 5180
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 07:56 pm:       

look at the time stamps.

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 7273
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 07:58 pm:       

Yes, I moved it to a new thread, which doesn't leave a stamp, then began typing a reply to bump it up to the top of the topic page, which does. After that, I noticed you posted a reply to the old thread before I posted my reply, which I moved over, but I haven't had a chance to move it above my reply yet, where it belongs.

It'd probably be easier for me to just delete mine now...

(Message edited by cindym on June 30, 2005)

Ken Tweddle
Username: kennyman

Post Number: 135
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 08:47 pm:       

Heyya Bobby.

The difference the girls are giving you there is basicly about how much seawater would be mixing in with the freshwater. Its kinda cool learnign about the differnt Brackish zones and how they interact with the ocean. But thats why thier numbers are so differnt and cover such a wide range.

I just got a brackish tank going recently that I plan to set at 25% seawater. I'll change that to as much as 50% now and then by varying the salinity of water I put in durring 30% water changes.

If you scroll down a bit to a thread called estuary adventures you see some numbers I got lastweek by mixing up a batch of water in a bucket and testing the specific gravity (salinity) with one of thise cheepy meters cindy mentioned.

btw 20 tablespoons will give you 25% seawater in your 10g tank. Or a specific gravity of 1.005
Ya I know; I'm a Landscaper not an English Teacher.

Jessica
Admin

Post Number: 5182
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 09:16 pm:       

cindy, don't delete yours, lol... both are valid, and actually, if he has really soft water, he might want to go for your range...

ken's got it :-)..

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * The Brackish Alternative * How much salt?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration