Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * The Brackish Alternative * Brackish tank questions( be warned it may be alot of them)       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Aquagyrl
Username: aquagyrl

Post Number: 63
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 12:41 pm:       

Okay i want to start a mangrove swamp brackish tank as described in the badmans brackish tanks.
substrate sand gravel and a few rocks sloped on one side of the tank. the tank is a ten gallon. the fish will be (3)bumble bee gobies (3) fiddler crabs and (3)mollies. I like the mud skipper but i would remove the mollies for them i am not sure yet. I would only be able to put in(2) mudskippers.

Questions:
How do you measure the salt in a tank that will be half full?
Will my selections of fish work?
Does the same rule of fish for freshwater apply to brackish?
What kind of filter do you use for this tank?
Do you have to put salt in the water everyday or every other day?
When you do water changes you should add the salt to the new water first, then add the water to the tank after you test it right (more of a statement question.

Now I have read over and over the brackish tank setup in the badmans section and I am stumped.

So this is a more or less "please help me I don't know what I am doing" thread.

(I'm not paniking, who's paniking)

Ken Tweddle
Username: kennyman

Post Number: 237
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 06:54 pm:       

I have only had a brackish tank for two or three months so I'm not very expearenced, but I'd like to try and help with some of your questions.

How to measure salt?
One way is to mix a small batch. Get bucket about 5g. measure 1g into it and use a hydrometer to make sure its about 0.020 salinity. Thats basicly 100% seawater. Then add three more gallons of fresh water to the bucket creating 25% sea water, 75% FW. Thats what I run my BW tank at.

My hydrometer wont measure .005 so thats how i do it when I want to makes sure im right. Pour in what you need from the bucket and throw out the rest. I have a 4g pail so its fine for my water cahnges once per week.

The only salt you need to add is the inital fillup and at waterchanges. If you have to top up for evap DO NOT add salt. The salt does not evaporate and has not left your tank.

I'm only a Landscaper; not an English Teacher.

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 7762
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 06:08 am:       

Ken covered everything except stocking. Your ten gallon tank will have less than 5 gallons of water, nowhere near enough for the fish you mentioned. That is why the info on mangrove suggested: "For this reason, it is recommended to use a 55g or larger aquarium so that there is enough swimming room for the fish." If you are reluctant to start with a 55, then I would not attempt it with anything less than a 20 long, and still cut back on those numbers a bit. With a 20L, I would not go with the suggested canister, I would get an internal filter, maybe a Whisper 10-20 i...they are inexpensive and readily available at WalMart:

http://tetra-fish.com/Catalog/product.aspx?id=566

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Aquagyrl
Username: aquagyrl

Post Number: 64
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 01:21 pm:       

okay then the fiddler crabs i can have and i guess i will use the mollies. I have a 20l i will use that for a tank. thanks for the help cindy and ken.

Jessica
Admin
Username: jessica

Post Number: 5435
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 03:07 pm:       

mollies can grow to 4-6 inches, much too large. bumble bees are much smaller and better suited to smaller water areas. However, I do not know how they will intereact with the crabs. They are feisty, but the question would be, are they feisty enough to not be eaten.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, juice in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * The Brackish Alternative * Brackish tank questions( be warned it may be alot of them)       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration