Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * The Brackish Alternative * Can Mollies go directly from FW to brackish?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Claire Marie Lowe
Username: claire_marie

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 03:12 pm:       

I was wondering how that works, I have a bunch of Mollies in Fw, and I wanna give some away so that I can establish a Brackish Tank for myself.
The Person who would like them, has a brackish tank, my Mollies been in FW all this time. Can the savely be transported into the Brackish Tank or do they need some getting used to the Saltwater?
I guess if you buy them at store they are FW too, but I just wanted to make sure they be alright. thanks for your answers...Claire

Mary Dell
Username: marypa

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 06:52 am:       

Tell the person to slowly acclimate the molly to the salt in the quarantine tank. It should do well.
God is real. The only way to heaven is thru Jesus.

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 8150
Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 06:56 am:       

I did it slowly when I first switched. I was very nervous, and added more every two days. It took two weeks to get them up to 2 TBS per gallon. To simulate the natural fluctuations in a brackish environment, I vary the salinity every few weeks, mostly during/right after water changes. I make fairly drastic changes, 50% or more, and they don't seem to be phased by it.

I don't know that the gradual change was necessary the first time, but it sure didn't hurt, and gave me peace of mind.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Claire Marie Lowe

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 10:15 am:       

I appreciate all the advise, I think they have the tank all set up, just don't know what salinity they got yet.
I don't think they have a Q-tank at hand, now I wonder if I can get them started a little already at my house?
Can I change my Fw tank over to brackish by just adding salt with every WC up to the point of it having brackish readings? or do I have to change the whole tank over? like changing from gravel to sand, even though I prefer the gravel?..I can move the Swordtails and Otto's to another tank and just keep the Mollies in this tank. Does this work, or would that just be too easy?
I do not have real plants in the tank so that would not be a problem.
I hope you can help me with all these questions..:-)...thanks Claire

Kenny
Username: kennyman

Post Number: 364
Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 12:23 pm:       

How are you making out with the BW tank Claire? I think your idea of adding premixed brackish water in with your water changes is the best idea.

Most brackish water fish are what is called Eurohaline. That meens they are specialy adapted to changing salinity levels. Differnt fish habit diffent parts of brackish ecosystmes. Some spawn in the FW rivers and move downstream as they mature eventualy migrating to the open ocean or coral reefs. Others do the opposite. Some just hang around the tidal areas where fw to sw levels change throught the day with the tides. How you set this up depends alot on the fish you want to keep. Have you read the "Starting a Brackish Tank" section on the web site yet. It helped me alot!
I'm only a Landscaper; not an English Teacher.

Claire Marie Lowe

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 02:44 pm:       

sorry, Kenny that it took me so long to answer you, I have been somewhat busy.. but here I am ......
well, I started adding salt to the tank with every wc. The fish seem to like it a lot, they seem much more alive ..:-))))))
still having a problem with over population, the person that wanted some of my mollies, never called back. I guess I had been to severe with my questions regarding his upkeep, but I had to make sure he was going to treat them right.
I had an add on tv and in a little paper circulation we have around here, but not much luck.
most people do not have brackish tank, or they want to keep the mollies in fw, and I only give them to people with the right conditions.
some think they have a brackish tank, only to discover, that after I investigate, they meant they add aquarium salt to the water, not sea salt.
I just love the sea salt I bought, it dissolves so fast,it's called oceanics, a little more expensive, but well worth it...
Yes, I have read the section, and it surely gives a lot of information, but it seems to me that I always have more questions..lol...must be like life, there is always more to learn and find out..
I left the gravel in my tank, now I'm wondering, since it is colored gravel, does that matter? or should that still be save?
the salt wouldn't dissolve the color, or would it? stupid question?..well I have many more..lol
will there be an increased problem with algee now?
I thought I had read somewhere that brackish tanks had no more algee problem, wishful thinking?..lol
what would be a good fish to add with the mollies( after down sizing) to keep as a natural birth control? my mollies just don't bother with their babies and hence I have "mollie land" at this time.
I checked at local LFS but they don't seem to carry any other brackish water fish, they said no market for them...

Claire Marie Lowe

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 02:51 pm:       

oops..I forgot to ask another question. I bought a hydrometer, but the scale does not register lower than 1.012, so now what?
How do I get a lower reading?..must have bought the wrong one, but that was the only one they had. It's made by Coralife and it's called Deep Six Hydrometer.
Any suggestions?...thanks..Claire

Kenny
Username: kennyman

Post Number: 381
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 07:17 pm:       

Glad to see its working out :-)

I made the same mistake with the hydrometer. For a while I mixed up 1g at 1.020 and then added FW to cut it down to where I wanted. But now I just do the TBS/Gal thing. Using salt is not as hard as I though it would be.

I'm not sure about another fish to add. I only have Bumblebee Gobies at this point. They love live food but I'm not sure how the baby Mollies would go down. They may be a bit big. Knight Gobies are a bit bigger and may be good for baby fish control. But I'm not sure.
I'm only a Landscaper; not an English Teacher.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * The Brackish Alternative * Can Mollies go directly from FW to brackish?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration