Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * The Brackish Alternative * Molly friends or not?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Denise
Username: dee

Post Number: 501
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 11:43 am:       

Hi all! I just wanted to checkand she if this was ok. I have a 30 gal that I really want to make into a species tank. But, I do have other fish it in right now. I can find homes for all but my two Rosey barbs. (No body wants then because they can be quite mean) Can they survive well with Mollies and the salt. One fish store lady told me all fish can live with some salt and will be fine. But, I don't quite believe that and I trust you all more. I want then to continue on well and don't want to hurt them. Then when they do go it will be just mollies.
Unless you think they could go with a paradise fish I have in a 5 gal. (Didn't know if that was quite big enough for three fish) Besides I brought the paradise fish home from my dads because its mean and killed all my dad had. So, I don't know if the barbs since they are bigger can still really defend themselves againt him. Like I said I don't want to hurt them.
I just love mollies and not sure what to do?! Thanks guys!
Fish, fry, frogs & snails galore.....Oh, how I wish I could have some more.....I'll just have to open a store!!!

Kenny
Username: kennyman

Post Number: 520
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 07:44 pm:       

I think you may be caught with two seperate ideas of what salt is. Aquarium salt is not what we talk about for brackish tanks. It is what some people use to help make up for a lack in proper tank care. I suspect thats what the lady at your lfs was thinking about when you asked her. You can read lots of great info about that in the "Best Of" forum.

Marine salt is what you need for a brackish tank. It makes synthetic seawater and then we cut that down to suit our brackish environments.

About the fish . . I dont think your barbs will live long in brackish water.
I'm only a Landscaper; not an English Teacher.

Denise

Post Number: 502
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 11:17 am:       

Thanks Kenny. The lady had me buy aquarium salt to add to the molly tank. So, thats wrong? You shouldn't add that. I guess I will have to go to a bigger fish store to find marine salt. Everything around here just sells cartons of aqaurium salt.
So, mollys need marine salt...so why is it all the fish stores I go to have the mollies in FW? They seem very beautiful, big and healthy. I wanted to give them what they needed but if they are in fresh to start is it really right to switch them?
I guess I am confused as to why everyone says they "Must" be in brackish when they are never in it when you purchase them.
Anyway I appreciate your help. I really love mollies!
Fish, fry, frogs & snails galore.....Oh, how I wish I could have some more.....I'll just have to open a store!!!

Denise

Post Number: 503
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 11:26 am:       

Ok I read the info given in Jenni's post. The article did say that mollies are hardy and can be either fresh water or brackish. They just need harder water and alkaline PH. Thus I just realized why my dads tank was perfect for mollies.(He has all that) Boy now I got myself really thinking what do I do? Whats the suggested dose for marine salt per gallon? Unlike my dad I do not have high Ph where I live. Ok, I'm learning as a I go! I look forward to any help, thanks !

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 8663
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 07:40 pm:       

Jenni's post? Where is that?

Does your LFS even have a brackish section? All the LFS here that have SW, FW, and brackish sections have mollies in brackish, next to tanks of scats, monos, various puffers and gobies, etc.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=954

The "other" stores sell all fish in FW, regardless of their needs. It may not harm too much, since brackish fish are used to fluctuations in brackishness in their natural environment, and most fish are sold in less than a week. But don't make the mistake of thinking that is what the fish "are used to." They may have been in FW for a few days, but they were bred and raised in brackish or even SW for months before they were distributed to the temporary holding tanks in your LFS.

I vary the salinity of my brackish tank, and my fish just finished a week in the closest thing to FW they have ever been in. When I put the salt back in today, they seemed ecstatic. They had been getting more and more sluggish as the salinity dropped each of the last three weeks, and they have been lively all day today.

I don't even know if they will sleep tonight...

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Kenny

Post Number: 523
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 07:43 pm:       

I don't have any personal exp with mollies. All I know is that they live in multiple salinity zones of estuaries in the tropics and subtropics. They seem able to adapt to a wide range of salt and have begun to displace many native fishes in some regions.

An easy way to give them buffererd (hard) high PH water is to use an argonite based substrate. Stuff like they sell for marine tanks and for African Cichlid tanks. That kind of stuff will keep your tank in the high 7s or low 8s for a good long time without adding chemicals and having to monitor it all the time.

Brackish tanks do limit your choices for sure, but they also open them to other interesting creatures that you would not otherwise keep. Somthing like a Dragon Goby could live with your mollies in Brackish water. There are alot of choices but its really up to what you want to see.

If your keeping live plants in the molly tank 2 tbs/gal is about as much marine salt as I would suggest. One would be fine. None at all might work ok too

Here is a great article by Dan that explains alot about what your were sold by your LFS.

http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article22.html

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 8664
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 07:49 pm:       

I have a violet goby with my mollies. It was the most affordable tank mate for them. Most brackish fish are quite expensive, not as much as SW, but much pricier than most FW fish. My boys love "Draco."

It's fierce appearance led me to believe it would save me trips to the LFS with molly juvies, but I have never seen it eat a single fry. They seem to be essentially blind gentle giants.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Kenny

Post Number: 524
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 08:08 pm:       

lol sorry cindy I was posting at about the same time. I didnt get to see your reply about mollys. I guess i'm a bit redundant but /me shrugs

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 8669
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 08:28 pm:       

It never hurts to hear it from two different people.

Most of the time, I don't post when someone else already made similar points, but I should. Especially on topics where the author is doubting "conventional wisdom" due to conflicting info from the LFS or other sites.

Denise

Post Number: 504
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 12:24 pm:       

HI, all thanks for all the help. The sight I was refuring too is "Toying with brackish idea" Kenny you had posted aquariacentral.com (I think that was it) thats where I got the hardy fish info. but like I said I am so glad for all your help. I liked the help on understanding the LFS.. Thanks again, you all are a great help.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * The Brackish Alternative * Molly friends or not?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration