Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * The Brackish Alternative * Lighting advice       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

sandra crowley
Username: kayharley

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 06:46 pm:       

I'm a "newbie" to my brackish/African tank...I do have a very established 29 gallon freshwater tank but need advice on my new setup.
The fluorescent lighting that came with my 55 gallon is extremely bright. We have some small cichlids but no live plants.
Can anyone give me some advice as to what kind of lighting would soften the look of my tank but still be adequate to the health of my fish?
Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9365
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 06:34 am:       

Lighting adds nothing to your fish's health. If you don't have plants, it is for your viewing pleasure only.

Is it really brackish, or just buffered - hard and alkaline - for your African cichlids? The only brackish cichlids I know of are orange chromides, and they are Asian, not African...

Your lights will dim as they age, just don't replace them every 6 months as you would for a planted tank. They will also dim as minerals deposit or algae grows on the underside of the hood.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * The Brackish Alternative * Lighting advice       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration