Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * The Brackish Alternative * Want to set up planted brackish tank. Confused by "Starting a Brackish Aquarium" article.       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Arcadio A. Sincero Jr.
Username: asincero

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 03:12 pm:       

I was reading the article at:

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/brackish/brackish.html

on how to setup a brackish tank. It says in there that if you want to keep live plants, keep the substrate to no more than 1" deep. That seems too shallow to me. Everything I've read on planted tanks recommends at least 2" and as high as 4". Should I follow the advice in that article or should I stick with what I've been reading about planted tanks for the past several months?

BTW, I plan on using Flourite as the substrate.

Kenny
Username: kennyman

Post Number: 633

Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 07:48 pm:       

I have plants in my brackish tank. Its tough because the Asian Red Claw Crab keeps yanking them out or cutting them off at the substrate. But I have 1" of Tahitian moon sand. I wish it was an inch deeper and I had mixed it with folurite. I think I would have better sucess. However at 0.0025 - 0.0050 SG I manage to keep Vallis and Crypts alive. All the java moss and Java fern died off.
I'm only a Landscaper; not an English Teacher.

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9921

Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 10:31 pm:       

All my plants eventually died, some rather slowly, but eventually all of them. Even java moss and Najas, and they are darn near impossible to kill.

Other than a bit of spot algae, even algae won't grow in my brackish tank, with 2 TBS of marine salt per gallon.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * The Brackish Alternative * Want to set up planted brackish tank. Confused by "Starting a Brackish Aquarium" article.       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration