Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * The Brackish Alternative * Slate for tank       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

rick
Username: Rick01

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2003 - 07:42 pm:       

if i put a couple pieces of slate(2 lbs)in my brackish tank,would it affect any water tests and make my ph go up high?

Natalie
Ancient Member
Username: Natalie

Post Number: 199
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2003 - 08:16 pm:       

You should be fine with slate, I would think. I have it in a fresh water tank with no problems or change in ph.

rick

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2003 - 09:23 pm:       

thank you.i think my columbians will really like a cave.if anything changes i will be sure to post it for info.

russ
Ancient Plus
Username: Rsaqua

Post Number: 793
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 12:27 pm:       

rick,

Natalie thought correctly. Slate is pretty inert as far as it's effects in water. You should be fine. I've used slate in fresh, brackish and marine with no difficulties or problems.

rick

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 02:20 pm:       

thank you.i have just put it in my tank a couple hours ago and it could just be coinsidence but my recycle is improving.this morning i had nitrites with no nitrates and presto,within 5 hours,i have 10ppm of nitrates with a reduction of nitrites.could be just timing but im a happy camper.ph has stayed the same at 7.4

GPT
Username: teitoku

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 04:26 am:       

I buy slate tiles at the hardware store for about fifty cents a piece, and bust 'em into whatever shape I need. They're nice and thin so they don't take up too much volume in there too.

Brad
Username: brad

Post Number: 783
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 01:22 pm:       

Anyone know of a good site with descripton AND pics of different kinds of stones? I`ve seen lots of sites that tell say which ones are safe and which ones aren`t, but if we can`t go into our backyards and know what`s what, it doesn`t help much.

Sorry for hijacking your thread rick, just thaught it could be taken a step further.

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 7564
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 04:38 pm:       

It would be easier for you to show the stones you find and are interested in using to someone with a background, or post (clear, in focus) pictures here, and have them identified. Rocks, like minerals, have a lot of natural variation in them. There are lots of web-sites and good books that have great color pics of various minerals and stones, but you may never find one that looks like the ones you find. There are many that look alike that are very different, and many that look different that are natural variations of the same mineral or rock.

Examples of just a few variations in slate:

slate

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Jessica
Admin
Username: jessica

Post Number: 5362
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 04:04 pm:       

btw, brackish fish tend to like harder water, higher ph, etc, etc...

Patience. Perseverance. Passion.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * The Brackish Alternative * Slate for tank       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration