us serve you better. Take a five minute survey. Click here!
Archived message board.
fish store names
I have bought these fish under these names in fish shops. Are they
accurate or just guessing? Long-finned black- skirt Tetra; striped
Pimelodus catfish; striped Raphael catfish; silver Hatchet (small-sized).
Are there more accurate (Latin) names available? Or, are these just
varieties of common ones?
- Never kept them, but think they look great. They will certainly
eat your plants from all that I have read when the get larger. Also
UD catfish eat plants...mine are chomping down on crypt which fish
aren't supposed to like as much. I think your swords may last the
longest, but no guarantee. You could put plants in a different tank
with non veggie fish...just a suggestion. Good luck.
- here you go kerney...black skirt tetra(gymnocorymbus ternetzi)...pimelodus
catfish(merodontus tigrinus)...raphael catfish(platydora costatus)sometimes
called humbug of talking cat...silver hatchetfish(gasteropelcus sternicla)...I
believe this is what you have on hand...hope it's what you are looking
- thank you Jeff, know what the "silver dollar" name is?
Is there anywhere on the net that can show pictures or slides of the
tropical fish available for aquaria today?
- silver dollar as in the big mothereating plant&veggie muncher?(metynnis
argenteus)...As I am a planted tank person this fish scares me!...not
for a small tank either...
- yep, that must be the one. mine are still small, though, only about
fifty-cent size, HA. now that you mention about the plant eating bit,
I do have cabomba and elodea and amazon swords in the 55g tank with
(2) silver dollars. should I begin to worry about these plants now
or as they disappear? nothing seems to be happening, yet. Thanks again,
- oh and...as the bad man would say... always check this site for
fish profiles and families...there is always something of interest
- kerney...the silver dollar as I mentioned eats plants and veggies...You
have a min. size tank for him...wait till he gets big and hungry!!!!oh
and there are still some things that I like to use as an aid it's
called books(remember them ha.. ha )....sorry I can't help you with
the rest as I said this would not be a fish for my tank so I don't
know anymore about it..I am sure the others can help....