us serve you better. Take a five minute survey. Click here!
Archived message board.
Hi. I have a heater that has some weird colors on it. It has what
looks like rust bands near the bottom where the heating element is.
I tried scrubbing the tube with a toothbrush but that didn't work.
There is also some algae-looking stuff that is kinda brown in color.
But I tried to scrape that off and nothing happened too. Maybe it's
on the inside of the tube? Does anyone know WHAT this stuff is, HOW
it happened, and HOW to get rid of it?
- Be careful if it's on the inside your heater may be cracked and
leaking. I had a cheap one do that. I now buy all Tronic heaters.
They are more expensive, but much more reliable. There are some other
good heaters with thicker glass out there. If it is cracked it can
- Yeah, I had one crack and got brownish goop inside. Be very careful.
- Thanks. So how do I know if the heater is cracked? Would the crack
be visible? It might be that it has overheated. I've noticed that
it almost never turns itself off. The water temp doesn't get too high
but whenever I look at the tank the heater is on. What should I do
now? Buy another heater or what? Is there any danger to my fish with
my heater how it is right now? Thanks for any more help that you can
- Don you do not want heater problems!...if there is any hint this
thing isn't working properly get rid of it...I love my ebo-jagers...never,have
- An update. I realized that part of the discoloration on the heater
is that little bit of cotton that's jammed in the end of the tube.
It has turned brown, from heat or something. I asked about this problem
at my LPS and they said basically to just keep it until it won't heat
the water any more. Should I return the heater to them and demand
a new one? Thanks again for your help.
- don...LPS..I would like to take some of those people and...duh..*(*&...take
your heater back tell them you are not satisfied with that one and
can't afford to have a failure in your tank and get a good one...if
you even have intermittent problems you can end up with endless problems
you don't want..
- Listen to Jeff. If you are away from home and your temps go down
your fish's health could be at risk and I bet you the LPS won't replace
them for you!
- Thanks for all your help! I'll try returning the pump this weekend.
Hope my LPS will take it. Thanks again for all the advice you've given