us serve you better. Take a five minute survey. Click here!
Archived message board.
I've got a new 20 gallon tank with two silver sharks one
catfish and 9 neons. The neon's are hiding and refuse to come
out from hiding. I've had them For about 2 weeks and they've
only just started doing this. Is it something I'm doing wrong
or is it normal or what? Please help. Thanks
- They are probably afraid of the Sharks. I have even had
a peaceful angelfish eat a neon. Larger fish eat small fish
when the mood strikes them.
- Anon, I agree with Joyce.... if those "silver sharks" are
Bala sharks I have heard from my LFS (local fish store) that,
while not REAL aggressive, Bala Sharks tend to bully smaller
fish and may even eat them. Claude
- Ok..I have to chuckle a little on this one too...I agree
with Joyce and claude...if everything in your swimming pool
seemed fine and you jumped for a swim then saw two sharks
swimming around wouldn't you be hiding too?...Poor little
guys...check out fish compatibility on this site later for
- Thanks for all your help but I sat there for hours and stared
at them where they couldn't see me and the sharks acted if
the couldn't care less about the neons and they still hid.
Even when I wasn't in the room. Could there be some thing
wrong with the water? Or they have a disease?Thanks for all
your advice though.
- If the fish are eating and show no signs of disease they
are fine. Just sensing the sharks moving about may scare them.
Even if the sharks don't attack them they may spook around
the large fish. A lot of small fish hide from big fish it
is instinct since in the wild they would definitely be eaten.
One of the more common diseases in neons is neon tetra disease
and their color will fade out if they have it. I had trouble
keeping neons and cardinals they seemed very sensitive.
- But I really like my sharks though. They are only about
3-5 cm long. There are two of them though. Is there any thing
I can do at all or do they have to go?
- How long have you had the sharks and neons together? My
neons stayed cautious for a couple of weeks before they realized
they were not prey and got more comfortable! I have had 6
neons in my tank even through my cycling process and they
have been okay. I got them at a specialty pet store rather
than Petco or Petsmart so maybe the breeding is a little better!
- IM not a expert on Neons but as far as I know they are schooling
fish. Maybe its because you have only 2 of them that they
feel threatened. Maybe if you got 2 more then they would feel
more comfortable. Safety in numbers and all that...
- I have nine neons Steve. To mandy-I have only had the neons
for a couple of weeks so maybe your right and the might get
better. Five of them are now showing them selves so they are
- IM sorry anonymous. I misread your post about having 2 sharks
and thought you had 2 neons. Glad to hear that they are doing