Geophagus Jurupari, also known as Satanopera Jurupari or the Demon Earth Eater, is a beautiful creature.
These are magnificent Cichlids found in the soft acidic waters of the Amazon, which continuously shift between sand and other substrates in search of food. When kept as pets, these fish are beneficial in maintaining a clean aquarium if you can maintain them well.
Let’s know more about these exciting creatures and how to keep them successfully in the aquarium.
Geophagus Jurupari Stats
We bring you some basic statistical details about this fish species. Having a glance at these details will help you understand the characteristics of the fish. You will be able to create a comfortable environment for them in the aquarium.
|Size||Up to 12″ (26 cm) total length|
|Tank||50 + gallons|
|Strata||Middle and Bottom|
|pH||6 to 8 pH|
|Hardness||Soft to Medium|
|Temperature requirement||75°F to 86°F|
|Common Name||Eartheater or devil, Demon|
|Origin||Amazon River basin, Peri, most areas of Guinea|
|Diet||Flake food, blood worms, shrimp|
Facts you should know about
The Jurupari earth eater is a famous fish species that include various colors. Earth Eaters come in different colors from grey, gold to green with moderate vertical curves and sufficient scales. If you are interested in keeping these fish as pets, it would indeed be great to know more about their habitat, body types, and so on.
Hence, we bring you a glance-through list of facts to help you understand these creatures better.
- The Earth Eaters are mainly inhabitants in the Amazon River basin of South America. Some traces of these species have also been discovered in Eastern French Guiana and the Bolivian Amazon.
- The upper head of the Earth Eater fish is somewhat conical in shape, with prominent eyes placed high.
- The entire body is covered with distinct strips and featured marks on the flank.
- This fish species grows up to a length of 18.5 CM 17.3 inches.
- Another known name of the earth eater is Satanoperca Jurupari. Their common name is the Demon Earth Eater.
- They have an eye-appealing, strikingly colored body.
- Maintaining the pH level of water is very important, so you should that this species is easily comfortable in the water with a pH ranging from 6 to 8.
Geophagus Jurupari Care Guide
While keeping these earth eater fish as pets, the water quality and the substrate are of primary concern for ultimate care. A proper aquarium with a suitable filtration mechanism ensures high water quality. Also, you must make sure to change the water regularly. This is necessary for keeping the fish thriving and in good condition.
It is essential to include proper sand substrate in the aquarium. It allows the fish to display their natural behavior as they do in their natural habitat. Along with this, a good and efficient biofilter is essential as these earth eaters can produce a lot of waste.
Furthermore, earth eaters also need good aeration. The pre-filters are excellent as they are powerheads with sponges. These pets can produce a lot of debris when they dig into the substrate. The pre-filters help to remove this debris and keep your aquarium clean.
Moreover, the aquarium and the entire setup to take care of these fish should strictly follow their habitat. These Earth Eaters prefer to live in calm water with a mild current and love warm temperatures. It is essential to install a heater in your aquarium to ensure that the necessary warmth is maintained.
- These earth eaters are omnivores in their feeding habits. Naturally, it would be easy to feed these fish.
- The diet includes many flakes of herbivores and carnivores, small pellets, blood worms, black larvae, brine shrimp, and daphnia. These are rich sources of vitamins and proteins in their diet.
- When the food is provided in the tank, the earth eater generally rises to the water column. Otherwise, they naturally flow in a calm state in the water.
- They fill their mouth with fine sand substrate and sift out small food like insect larva.
- The remaining food material is taken out through the means of gill opening and also from the mouth.
- The earth eaters feed on basic flake and pellet foods. They have the habit of taking the diet in smaller portions rather than large single meals. This results in the incredible growth of earth eaters.
Note: It is advisable to give the earth eaters a single large meal. Also, you can offer 3-4 small portions. This procedure results in the best growth rate of these species.
You should monitor this fish species regularly. Otherwise, they may suffer from a disease named neo-tropical bloating. Also, an RO filter is advisable because it can keep the water soft and acidic.
Another primary disease these fish usually develop is a hole in the head. You can avoid this by maintaining an optimal physical and chemical ambiance, especially water with a minimal level of metabolites. A denitrifying or hydroponic filter can be of great help.
- If you want to breed your pets, it is essential to ensure conducive breeding conditions. Maintaining the water temperature at 86°-87°F can ensure proper breeding grounds for these cichlids. Take a look at their breeding habits:
- Earth eaters are generally mouthbrooders. They have a unique way of breeding. The female eartheater lays 300 eggs at the minimum on places like flat rock, slate, or driftwood.
- After a few hours, the females transfer the eggs to their mouths and keep them with care till they hatch.
- The parents share their duties mutually and take care of their fry after the eggs are hatched.
- When the fry is good at swimming, the parents free them from mouthbrooding.
- The earth eaters take extra care of their fry in the same way they were protective of their eggs.
- The female of the Earth Eaters is excellent in brood care. She takes care of the fry until it is too big to fit in her mouth.
There is a wide range of earth eaters. While some are small in size, peaceful and calm, others grow up to giant sizes and are too aggressive. These species can destroy anything that is in their path.
So, it is essential to know all the varieties and choose those that are perfect for you to keep pets.
- Earth eaters need an aquarium of water up to 50 gallons. This helps them move smoothly through the sand substrate and easily find their shelter.
- The companions should include fish that belong to the same group of Cichlids.
- The tank mates should include popular fish like Corydoras that usually inhabit at the bottom of the tank.
- It is also advisable to purchase these jurupari species in more than a dozen as they survive better when they feel safe in a group.
- One of the most important things to consider is that the tank should be according to the fish’s feeding habits. If it is not so, then the fish might die away or acquire some disease.
- Apart from keeping other tank mates, you can also place some plants with these earth eaters. These include Fern Microsorum that can remain at the top section.
- You can also introduce many tough-leaved plants like Cryptocoryne and Echinodorus. These not only provide hideouts for the fish but also make the aquarium look appealing.
The calm and gentle nature of Satanoperca Jurupari enables them to mingle with other species without any disruptions easily. Though the tank is a small habitat for the earth eaters, if you create a healthy environment to live in, they will stay happy.
It is better to avoid aggressive earth eaters that require less acidic water. These species of earth eaters are perfect for the water rich in minerals.
Now you know many facts about the Jurupari species that will help you keep these fish happy in your aquarium.
Let’s have a quick recap:
- Jurupari earth eater is also called Santanoperca Jurupari.
- They prefer to live in warm, soft, acidic, and clean water bases and generally live-in groups.
- Their aquarium should have a suitable filtration mechanism.
- They are omnivores and feed in small pellets.
- The Jurupari Cichlid can suffer from diseases like neotropical bloating and holes in the head which can be avoided.
- They are mouthbrooders and caring parents.
- They prefer the same group of Cichlids as tankmates.
The Jurupari pets are perfect for any aquarium with their impressive and color body and gentle temperament. These fish are an ideal addition to any aquarium as they soon adapt themselves to that environment. So, are you ready for these lovely fishy friends?