- Not really a “tropical fish” in the true sense of the word, the white cloud still finds a niche in our tanks. Once called “the poor mans neon” they deserve to stand on their own merit.
Listed tank sizes are the minimum
|Size:||Up to 1.5 inches (4 cm)|
|PH:||6.0 to 8.0|
|Hardness:||Soft to hard|
|Temperature:||61° to 72°F (18 to 22°C)|
- , Mountain Minnow
- Southeastern China, in the Canton and Hong Kong regions of the White Cloud Mountains.
General Body Form:
- Long and thin, with a small mouth that faces up. Unlike most barbs there are no barbels. The males are more slender than the females. Overall very similar to a young neon in shape.
- The general background coloration of the White cloud is an Olive-Brown color with the underside being almost pure white. The Dorsal and anal fins start out a pale Yellow that turns into a bright Red area extending to the end. The Caudal fin starts with a Blue to Black spot at the base with a Red area extending to the end. The forks of the caudal are a pale Yellow. The main body has a Blue to Black< line running down the sides toped by a narrow iridescent band which runs in color from Gold to Gold with a Green tint. In younger fish this stripe takes on a more Blue tint and some say it is very similar to the neon in color. Although small if you take the time to look at this fish it is a beauty in it’s own right.
- An easy fish to care for, the tank need not be large. Provide a well planted tank with open space to swim. The White Cloud is undemanding and all kinds of food are accepted from flake to live. They are a schooling fish and should be kept in groups, being peaceful they can be housed with other community type fish. Provide good filtration with a gentle current. Water parameters are not overly important as they will adapt to a wide range of conditions. The tank need not be heated as they do not require the higher temperatures of other fish. They will adapt to the conditions of a tropical tank, but may not show their best colors once the temperature exceeds 77f. A perfect choice for a mini aquarium that you can keep on your desk or in your office as a species tank.
- Found among the vegetation of Clear mountain streams in Southern China.
- The white cloud is one of those fish that require little influence to breed. In a heavily planted tank breeding will happen regularly and many young can survive to add to your school. Spawning takes place over several days and the eggs are laid among the plants. These will hatch in about two days. The fry are very small and will need the smallest of flake food to eat. Breeding can be stimulated by lowering the water temperature slightly.